Coleslaw – 3 ways
A simple base recipe for coleslaw, ready for you to adapt for a tasty side dish
Ingredients (base recipe for each variation)
- 1/4 white cabbage – core removed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 grated carrot
- 1/2 red onion – sliced
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
Basic coleslaw (as pictured in centre)
Mix all ingredients together, season to taste and if wanting a little more ‘bite’ add a tsp of white wine vinegar
Spicy Slaw (left in the picture)
Mix all ingredients from the base recipe but add;
- 2 chopped chillies (keep the seeds in, no point using the chilli otherwise!)
- small handful of chopped coriander
Asian Inspired Slaw (right in the picture)
Not your traditional coleslaw but a nice twist when having Pork or Duck dishes.
Use the base recipe as above but instead of the mayonnaise, replace with;
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- thumbsize piece of ginger, crushed
- 2 tsp of red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp of soy sauce
- pinch of sugar
You won’t need to add salt to this recipe, the soy sauce will be more than enough.
Mix all the ingredients together. Taste the slaw and if a little too piquant then add a little more sugar to soften the taste.