Heat, heat and more heat! You betcha!
Mr Mountier, loves his spices (bless his stomach) and he can be often seen sneaking a spoonful from whatever bottle of spice we have lurking in the kitchen so it was only a matter of time before he attempted to make his own!
After growing a rather successful pot of Super Chilli chillies there seemed to be an abundance of these little red visitors in our kitchen so into the pan they had to go. With a passion for all things spicy and regular visits to our local Nando’s the next recipe just had to be an attempt on their famous sauce. This one, we think, is similar to their Hot Sauce (although you could pop in a bit more garlic for another of their range!
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 red peppper
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 50ml white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 7 super chilli chillies
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Chop the garlic and red pepper and add to the pan.
- Add in the celery salt, oregano and paprika and cook on a gentle heat for 3 minutes.
- Chop the chillies. Keep the seeds in, you want the heat!
- Add the chillies into the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- If you're unsure of the heat intensity then you can add a few chillies at this stage and taste.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- When cool to touch, transfer the contents of the pan to a blender and blitz! You're looking for a thick consistency.